Early 20thC clinker built, copper fastened ships lifeboat to the 11,019gt Norwegian oil tanker M/T Arne Kjøde which was herself built by Deutsche Werft AG, Betrieb Finkenwärder, Hamburg in 1938.
This lifeboat was used in earnest when the M/T Arne Kjøde was torpedoed by U-41 (Commander Kapitänleutnant Gustav-Adolf Mugler) north west of the Outer Hebrides on the 12 November 1939. Of the ship’s complement, 5 died and 34 survived. At the time of the sinking the M/T Arne Kjøde was a ‘neutral’ vessel and unescorted.
The sinking of the M/T Arne Kjøde was to be cited as an ‘atrocity’ during the post-war Nuremburg trial of Admiral Donitz, Norway having been a neutral country at the time of the sinking.