A 13′ transom dinghy built in the late 1940s.
‘Shamrock’ as she has been nicknamed (because of a Shamrock image on the hull) was built by JMW (Jimmy) Mackay in Stromness the late 1940s. It is known that she was actually built be one of Jimmy’s employees, Tommy Corrigall.
Originally she was stepped for a lugsail mast.
The boat was bought in 1948, at a cost of £27, from Jimmy Mackay by a young local fisherman, Willick Sinclair. This was Willick’s first boat which he used to gather whelks from the Holms, two small islands forming the east side of the Stromness harbour. Later, he used her to fish for eels in Stenness Loch, before moving on to creel fishing in bigger boats at the age of 16. He is still fishing today, mainly for lobsters, in his 38ft square-sterned creel boat built in Pia Anderson’s yard at Ness Point in Stromness – and is still fishing today at the age of 85!
To help the drying out of the hull we strip flaky paint